On behalf of our Project Partnership, it is our pleasure to invite you to attend the joint launch of the Llantwit Food Project and Age Connects at CF61 Community Centre and Illtud House, Station Road, Llantwit Major. The event will take place on Thursday 20th October 2022, from 1pm until 3pm.
The event will be hosted by Age Connects and Llantwit Food Project partners, including Food Vale, Vale of Glamorgan Council, Glamorgan Voluntary Services, Llantwit Major Town Council, FareShare, Newydd Housing Association, and more. A full list of partners can be found on the project’s webpage.
The Llantwit Food Project began in October 2020 when key partners came together to explore what the barriers are to accessing good food in Llantwit Major. Through conversations with local community members and experts, the group has gained a better understanding of what could be done to improve this, and developed a set of key actions, including:
- Support the existing FoodShare at CF61 to transition to a pantry model where people can pay a subscription and access affordable food.
- Establish a new FareShare drop-off point at Llantwit CF61 to serve the Western Vale.
- Set up a hub providing advice and signposting to wider support around employment, benefits, entitlements, mental health and housing.
- Pilot a mobile food pantry service
- Establish a communications campaign to raise awareness and foster community spirit
Thanks to funding from the National Lottery, we are now beginning to put these actions into practice over the next 5 years. To celebrate this, and to promote Age Connects’ new base we are inviting key stakeholders from across the Vale and the local community to come together to see what support is available to those in need, help shape our future actions and connect over a free cuppa. This event will coincide with the weekly Food Share and second monthly ‘More Than Food’ Hub at the CF61 Community Centre.
There will be some light refreshments in Illtud House at 2.30pm.
On behalf of Age Connects and the Llantwit Food Project Partnership, we look forward to seeing you there on the 20th October.