2 large tomatoes
1 red onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon tomato puree
Pinch of black pepper
- Wash and slice the tomatoes.
- Peel the red onion and garlic. Chop the red onion and crush or dice the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, over a high heat.
- Add all the ingredients to the saucepan and stir together. When the mixture starts to bubble reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes have cooked down. Stir from time to time
- If the mixture is lumpy mash with a fork or potato masher to make it smoother.
- Cook for another 10 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced down and is quite thick, then serve
* Any leftover relish can be kept in the fridge to eat for up to 2 days later
* This relish can be used in burgers, quesadillas, as a pasta sauce or for dipping potato wedges into
* Add ½ teaspoon of dried mixed herbs to give a slightly different taste