Spicy Bean Casserole
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
2 sticks of celery
2 cloves of garlic
1 x 400g (large) tin of chopped tomatoes
150ml of boiling water
1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
1 x 400g tin of black-eyed peas (or other type of bean, e.g. pinto beans, mixed bean salad)
200g button mushrooms
Black pepper to season
- Finely chop the onion and celery, and crush the garlic.
- Heat the oil in saucepan, then add the onion, celery and garlic and cook over a low heat until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the spices and cook for a further minute or two.
- In the meantime, dissolve the stock cube in the 150ml of boiling water.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stock to the saucepan.
- Drain the chickpeas and black-eyed peas, using the sieve, and rinse with water.
- Stir in the chickpeas, black-eyed peas and mushrooms and bring to the boil.
- Season with black pepper, cover then cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with rice, couscous or homemade flatbreads
Fruit Scones Ingredients: 250g self-raising [...]
Fruit Kebabs Ingredients: 1 x [...]
Apple Crumble Ingredients: 150g plain [...]
Tomato Relish Ingredients: 2 large [...]
Tzatziki Dip Ingredients: ½ cucumber [...]