1 tablespoon vegetable oil
400g lean mince (beef, pork, turkey, Quorn® or soya mince)
4 gloves garlic
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 beef / vegetable stock cube
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce / Henderson’s relish
1 stick of celery
100g mushrooms (any type e.g. white, baby, chestnut)
1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs (or Italian herbs)
Black pepper, to taste
300g dried spaghetti (or other pasta, if you prefer)
- Peel the onion, garlic and carrots. Chop the onion, crush or chop the garlic and grate or chop the carrots.
- Wash and slice the celery and mushrooms
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, over a medium to high heat.
- Add the mince and cook for 5 minutes (until browned). Stir regularly.
- Once the mince is browned, add the onion and cook for another 3 minutes
- Reduce the heat to medium then add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes
- In a measuring jug, add the stock cube and mix with 150ml of boiling water.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce / Henderson’s relish, carrots, celery, mushrooms, herbs and stir.
- Add a pinch of black pepper, reduce to a low heat and simmer to 30-40 minutes. Stirring from time to time.
- About 15 minutes before the Bolognese is ready, cook the spaghetti (or whatever pasta you’re using) as per the packet instructions
- Once cooked, drain the pasta and serve with the Bolognese.
* Any leftover Bolognese can be kept in the fridge to eat for up to 2 days later. Alternatively, it can be placed in freezer bags and stored in the freezer for up to 3 month.
Fruit Scones Ingredients: 250g self-raising [...]
Fruit Kebabs Ingredients: 1 x [...]
Apple Crumble Ingredients: 150g plain [...]
Tomato Relish Ingredients: 2 large [...]
Tzatziki Dip Ingredients: ½ cucumber [...]