8 low fat sausages
2 cloves of garlic
1 pepper (any colour)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 vegetable stock cube
1 x 200g tin baked beans
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
2 teaspoons mixed herbs
3 sprigs of thyme
Black pepper, to taste
- Grill the sausages, on a medium to high heat. Turn them from time to time until browned all over. Remove from the grill and cut each sausage into 3 pieces
- Peel the onions, garlic and carrot. Then, chop the onion, crush or dice the garlic and slice the carrot
- Wash, de-seed and chop the pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or stock pot, over a medium heat.
- Add the sausage pieces and vegetables to the saucepan or stock pot and cook until the onions start to brown (about 5 minutes). Stir regularly
- Mix the stock cube with 275ml of boiling water in a measuring jug
- Add the stock, beans, tomatoes, chilli powder (if using), mixed herbs, thyme and a pinch of black pepper to the saucepan or stock pot.
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30-40 minutes. Stir from time to time.
- Serve with mashed, boiled or jacket potato and steamed vegetables.
* Any leftover sausage stretch can be kept in the fridge to eat for up to 2 days later. Alternatively, it can be placed in freezer bags and stored in the freezer for up to 3 month.
* This recipe can be made with meat-free sausages for vegetarians or vegans
* For a different taste, use 200g of tinned baked beans in barbeque sauce (instead of in tomato sauce)
* A good quality sausage has a meat content of around 70%