Lentil & Veg Stew
2 garlic cloves
1 yellow pepper
1 stick of celery
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 x 400g tin green lentils
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube
2 tablespoons dried mixed herbs
Black pepper, to taste
50g frozen peas or green beans
- Peel the onion, garlic and carrots. Crush or dice the garlic and chop the onion and carrots.
- Wash the pepper and celery. De-seed and chop the pepper. Finely slice the celery.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, over a medium heat.
- Add the carrots and cook for 2 minutes, stirring regularly
- Add the onions and celery and cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring regularly
- Add the garlic and pepper and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring regularly
- In a measuring jug, mix the stock cube with 300ml of boiling water and add to the saucepan
- Drain the lentils, in a sieve of colander, and rinse them under a tap
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, mixed herbs and black pepper to the saucepan
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes
- 5 minutes before the end of cooking add the peas or green beans
* Any leftover stew can be kept in the fridge to eat for up to 2 days later. Alternatively, it can be placed in freezer bags and stored in the freezer for up to 3 month.
* Instead of lentils, you could use chickpeas or beans (such as pinto or cannellini) for this recipe
Fruit Scones Ingredients: 250g self-raising [...]
Fruit Kebabs Ingredients: 1 x [...]
Apple Crumble Ingredients: 150g plain [...]
Tomato Relish Ingredients: 2 large [...]
Tzatziki Dip Ingredients: ½ cucumber [...]