Italian Meatball Subs
400g lean minced beef
8 heaped teaspoons of green pesto
Black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 x 125g ball of mozzarella
4 long finger rolls
- Put the mince, 4 heaped teaspoons of the pesto and a pinch of black pepper in a bowl.
- Using clean hands, mix the ingredients together.
- Split into 12 even sized pieces and roll each one into a ball shape by hand
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, over a high heat, add the meatballs and brown them by moving them around the hot frying pan regularly
- Once the meatballs have browned, add the tinned tomatoes to the frying pan and bring to the boil
- Slice the mozzarella and lay a piece over each meatball.
- Cover the frying pan with the lid, another frying pan of the same size or some foil. Leave to cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat – for the sauce to thicken
- In the meantime, cut the finger rolls down the middle and spread 1 heaped teaspoon of pesto in each one
- Once cooked, separate the meatballs between the finger rolls (3 in each one) and drizzle some of the remaining tomato sauce from the frying pan over each one
- Put the rest of the tomato sauce in a bowl to dip the meatball subs into
* Any leftover meatballs or sauce can be kept in the fridge to eat for up to 2 days later. Alternatively, they can be placed in freezer bags and stored in the freezer for up to 3 month.
* The leftover sauce is great to have with some cooked pasta, for a quick easy meal