2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 small onion (white or red), finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed or finely chopped
1 x 400g chickpeas, washed and drained
½ teaspoon mild chilli powder
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
1 teaspoon Garam masala (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a saucepan and, when hot, add the onion and garlic and cook on a low/medium
heat for 5 minutes – until they are soft.
- Tip the onion and garlic into a large bowl with the chickpeas, chilli powder, garam masala (if using) and
- Mash the ingredients together with a potato masher or a fork. Alternatively, you could place all the
ingredients into a food processer and blend until combined and fairly smooth.
- Split the mixture into 6 even size balls using your hands. Flatten each ball slightly so they don’t roll around
the frying pan.
- Chill for an hour in the fridge (if making in advance these can be stored in the fridge overnight)
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and place as many falafels in as you can. Cook for 3 minutes on each
side, over a medium heat, until lightly golden
- Serve in a wrap with some vegetables or use as a healthy protein rich snack