Chicken Tray Bake
1 yellow pepper
1 orange pepper
6-8 cherry tomatoes
2 red onions
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 skinless chicken thighs
2 tablespoons dried mixed herbs or Italian herbs
Black pepper, to taste
To Serve With (optional):
1 vegetable stock cube
- Pre-heat the oven to 200oC / 180oC fan / Gas mark 6
- Wash the courgettes, peppers and cherry tomatoes. Cut the ends off the courgettes and slice the rest into 2cm chunks. De-seed and chop the peppers into chunks.
- Peel the red onions and garlic. Chop the red onions into quarters and crush or finely chop the garlic.
- Add the oil to a large shallow roasting tray and spread it around tray
- Place all the vegetables in the roasting tray and mix together. After mixing, make sure that the vegetables form a level base
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables and sprinkle over the herbs and some black pepper
- Cook, on the middle shelf of the oven, for 40-45 minutes – or until the chicken is cooked. If you want, half way through cooking you can remove the chicken, mix the vegetables around again, put the chicken back on top of the vegetables and place the tray back in the oven to finish off cooking.
- If serving with couscous, about 8 minutes before the tray bake is cooked: boil the kettle, measure out the couscous in a bowl and sprinkle over a crushed stock cube. Add enough boiling water to the bowl so that there’s about ½ cm of water above the couscous. Stir with a fork or teaspoon and cover with a plate or foil. Leave for 5 minutes, then remove the covering and it’s ready to serve.
- Serve the tray bake with couscous (as above), rice or boiled potatoes
* Any leftover tray bake can be kept in the fridge to eat for up to 2 days later.
* You can swap or add other vegetables to the tray bake (such as aubergine, sweet potato, olives).
* To make sure the chicken is cooked, pierce the thickest part with a knife or skewer. The juices will run clear when cooked.
* If you don’t have time to cook couscous, rice or potatoes separately, add 240g of baby new potatoes (cut in half) to the tray bake at the start and cook with everything else. Make sure the potatoes are cooked before serving