2 chicken breasts or skinless boneless thighs
4 heaped teaspoons medium curry powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon mild chilli powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon black pepper
4 cloves of garlic
1 pepper (any colour)
1 vegetable stock cube
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
150g long grain or basmati rice
2 handfuls of spinach (or 25g frozen peas)
- Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces
- Measure out the spices into a small cup or bowl and mix together with the black pepper
- Peel the onion, garlic and carrot. Chop the onion, crush or dice the garlic and either grate or dice the carrot
- Wash, de-seed and chop the pepper
- Add the stock cube to a measuring jug and mix with 200ml of boiling water
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat
- Add the onion and cook, stirring regularly, for 3 minutes
- Add the garlic, carrot and pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring continuously
- Add the spices and black pepper mix to the saucepan, with a few tablespoons of water to make a paste. Cook for 5 minutes – stirring regularly and adding more water if the mixture starts to dry out.
- Add the stock and the chicken and stir until the chicken has turned white all over.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes
- While the curry simmering, cook the rice as per the packet instructions (usually 10-15 minutes)
- When there’s about a minute left before the curry is cooked, wash the spinach in a sieve or colander and add to the curry. Stir until all the spinach has wilted. If using the peas, add 5 minutes before the end of cooking.
* Any leftover curry can be kept in the fridge to eat for up to 2 days later. Alternatively, it can be placed in freezer bags and stored in the freezer for up to 3 month.
* Leftover rice should be cooled within one hour and stored in the fridge. The leftover rice should be eaten within 24 hours. Make sure the rice has been reheated for a minimum of 5 minutes and is piping hot before eating again.
* Make this recipe veggie or vegan by swapping the chicken for chickpeas or lentils
Fruit Scones Ingredients: 250g self-raising [...]
Fruit Kebabs Ingredients: 1 x [...]
Apple Crumble Ingredients: 150g plain [...]
Tomato Relish Ingredients: 2 large [...]
Tzatziki Dip Ingredients: ½ cucumber [...]