100g green beans
100g chestnut mushrooms (optional)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 skinless chicken legs (thigh and drumstick)
1 vegetable stock cube
3 sprigs of thyme
Black pepper to taste
75g low fat cream cheese
50g frozen peas
- Slice and wash the leeks. Wash the green beans and chop the ends off.
- If using, clean and slice the mushrooms
- Peel the onion and carrot and dice both of them, separately
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over a medium high heat.
- Add the chicken to the frying pan and brown all over. Once browned, put to one side.
- In a stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over a medium heat.
- Add the leek and onion and cook, stirring regularly, for 5 minutes (or until both are soft)
- In a measuring jug, add the stock cube and mix with 400ml of boiling water
- Add the chicken legs, stock, carrots, green beans, thyme and mushrooms (if using) to the stock pot
- Add a pinch of black pepper, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir from time to time.
- After 30 minutes, add the peas and cream cheese to the stock pot. Stir through so there are no lumps of cream cheese. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for a further 5-10 minutes (until the peas are cooked). Stir from time to time.
- Serve with boiled or mash potato and some steamed vegetables
* Any leftover casserole can be kept in the fridge to eat for up to 2 days later. Alternatively, it can be placed in freezer bags and stored in the freezer for up to 3 month.
* If the casserole is too watery for your liking, mix a teaspoon of corn flour with a tablespoon of cold water and stir into the casserole. This should thicken up the sauce.
* If you can’t find skinless chicken legs you can buy ones with the skin on and remove the skin yourself before cooking.
* Instead of chicken legs, you can just use 4 skinless chicken thighs for this recipe.