80g caster sugar
3 large ripe bananas
100g self-raising flour
100g wholemeal self-raising flour (or another 100g of self-raising flour if you don’t have this)
1 teaspoon of mixed spice
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC / Gas mark 4
- Line a loaf tin with greaseproof baking paper
- Add the margarine and sugar into a large bowl and use a mixing spoon to cream them together until fluffy
- Mash the bananas in a separate bowl
- Gradually beat the eggs, one at a time, into the margarine and sugar mixture
- Stir in the mashed bananas
- Sieve the flour and mixed spice into the mixture and fold until combined
- Pour the mixture into the lined loaf tin, place on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for 1 hour
- Check that the banana bread has cooked by sticking a clean knife or skewer into the thickest part of it. If it comes out without anything sticking to it, it’s cooked.
- Leave to cool on a rack and cut into slices.